I write to you on a rainy day after a few weeks of gorgeous sunshine…well its good for the plants! I can’t believe its nearly a week since we had our first service in the church building and welcomed many of you to share communion and hear stories of God’s work in Paris from John and Sue Wilson. We had painting, prayers and singing with some of our musicians. This was followed by lunch and a cream tea in the sunshine. John and Sue shared a verse that they felt was for Moortown Baptist Church at this time and I share it here again in case anyone missed it.
“Yet this I call to mind
and therefore I have hope:
Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed,
for his compassions never fail.
They are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness.
I say to myself, ‘The Lord is my portion;
therefore I will wait for him.’ (Lamentations 3:21-24)
So following on from our current theme, we continue with being devoted but focus on someone in the bible known for His devotion in the Old Testament, David. We will look over the Summer at 1 Samuel 17. You might want to read it in advance or follow up in groups through the Summer. So here’s what the next few weeks look like…
Sunday 1st August – Theme: David and the right place
Sunday café with drinks/cake provided by church from 10.30am -12 midday, including at 10.45 a live 15 minute Facebook stream direct from MBC! Both will be in the main church building and outside with tables and chairs. There’s no gazebo up at the moment as it blew down so bring your brolly if you want to sit outside. Our playlist which if possible we would everyone wherever you are to try and watch together will be on at 11am on the big screen in church and is available via this YouTube link. You don’t need to let us know if you are coming on this occasion; the building had been risk assessed and if it gets too full people will need to wait until others come out or sit outside. However, masks will need to be worn inside whilst you are walking around but can be taken off when you are sitting, eating or drinking.
Sunday 8th August – Theme: David and the right armour (verses 12-19)
All age Sunday Service 11am-12 in church and outside in the carpark, livestreamed. It’s helpful if you leave a message with Shelley, ILT or Kate if you want to come. email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com 0113 2693750 (church office)
Sunday 15th August – Theme: David and the right weapon (verses 33-38)
Youtube playlist and get together…more details to come next week
Sunday 22nd August – Theme: David and the right power (verse 40)
…more details to come next week
Sunday 29th August – Theme: David and the right focus (verses 41-45)
…more details to come next week
I’ll be in touch next week with all those who have helped before in leading worship/speaking but also if you would like to help with any aspect do let me know.
Update on ILT email from last week
The ILT mentioned a ‘Relating Well’ course in their email sent out last Monday. There have been some questions around this so here is some information to help clarify.
- It’s the new Baptist Union Safeguarding training but its all about relating well with others. Its engaging, accessible, up to date with covid support (I’ve seen it myself) and includes all the necessary safeguarding information that you need when you volunteer with a church.
- You may not help with any groups but we are encouraging all who are able to come along on a session as we think it’s really appropriate for MBC right now as it includes loads of helpful thoughts on being a safe church in general.
- We’ll have breakfast pastries and coffee/tea available for you from 10am and the training will start at 10.15 so that we can finish by 12.15/30.
- There’s two identical sessions being run and you only need to do one of them – Saturday 7th August and Saturday 21st August 10-12.30. Can you leave a message at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 0113 2693750 (church office) to book a session.
- There will be space to raise questions and our safeguarding officers, some members of the ILT and staff will be there at each session. If questions cannot be answered on the day we will make sure we find out and get back to you.
Take care everyone and looking forward to seeing you soon